Jun 24, 2022
Recently the world was captivated by a court case that was broadcast around the world on various online platforms. The hash tag “Justice For Johnny” was trending world wide as multitudes watched Johnny Depp try to vindicate his name. His claim was simple, his ex wife slandered and defamed his good name to the world and dragged his reputation through the mud. I often wonder if the Church does exactly the same thing sometimes. Have we been guilty of dragging Jesus’ holy name through the mud? Will we soon have our day in court? Join me as I look at this possibility in the light of the seven Churches mentioned in the book of Revelation!
Here are the 7 questions at the end of the sermon:
(1) Ephesus - the church that had forsaken its first love (2:4).
(2) Smyrna - the church that would suffer persecution (2:10).
(3) Pergamum - the church that needed to repent (2:16).
(4) Thyatira - the church that had given an ear to a false prophetess, and had given her a free pass, by turning a blind eye to her… instead of denouncing her, and casting her out. (2:20).
(5) Sardis - the church that had fallen asleep (3:2).
(6) Philadelphia - the church that had endured patiently (3:10).
(7) Laodicea - the church with the lukewarm faith
Have you forsaken your first love?
Are you ready to suffer persecution?
Do you need to repent of anything that is soiling your robes, or dishonoring your vessel?
Are you one of the 66 million Christians in the United States who have come into significant contact with NAR teachings…have any of these WOF or NAR doctrines itched your ear? More importantly, have you denounced false teaching or are you giving it a pass because you don’t want to offend those in it?
Have you fallen asleep spiritually - are you spiritually lazy?
Do have patience - will you faithfully stand by Jesus even if everyone else runs away chasing after the newest spiritually exciting fad?
And finally…what’s the temperature of your faith…is it lukewarm?